Sunday, January 4, 2009

Esophogeal Cancer or Brown Skin

Esophogeal Cancer

Author: Pamela K Gines

This book gives you authoritative, practical answers to your questions about treatment options, post-treatment quality of life, sources of support, and much more. Written by three esophageal cancer experts and an actual patient.



Table of Contents:
Prefacev
Forewordvii
Dedicationsix
Part 1The Basics1
Questions 1-6
What is the esophagus? What does the esophagus do?
What is cancer?
What is cancer of the esophagus?
What causes esophageal cancer?
Part 2Risk and Prevention9
Questions 7-18
What are risk factors?
Is esophageal cancer hereditary?
What are the warning signs of esophageal cancer?
Will taking heartburn medications help prevent esophageal cancer?
Part 3Diagnosis and Staging27
Questions 19-25
How is esophageal cancer diagnosed?
What tests are preformed to aid in the diagnosis?
What does my doctor mean by "stage of disease," and why is staging important?
Part 4Coping with the Diagnosis39
Questions 26-39
I've been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. What should I do now?
How do I select a surgeon or medical oncologist?
Should I get a second opinion?
What else can I do to strengthen myself before treatment?
What is the right thing to say to my loved one?
Part 5Treatment Options67
Questions 40-80
What things should I consider when making treatment choices?
Will I have pain? What are my options to treat it if I do?
What are the latest developments in esophageal cancer treatment? How do I find out about them?
Part 6Living with Esophageal Cancer123
Questions 81-95
I don't seem to have much of an appetite after treatment. How can I improve my appetite and nutrition during and after treatment?
Will I be able to work during and after treatment?
How do I get my life back to normal?
Part 7If Treatment Fails: Advocacy and Support149
Questions 96-100
Where does esophageal cancer usually spread? What are the symptoms that indicate my cancer has spread?
What happens if the cancer comes back?
My treatment doesn't seem to be working. What should I do to prepare myself and my family for the future?
Appendix157
Glossary161
Index167

Go to: Communicating Effectively in an Information Age or Soft News Goes to War

Brown Skin: Dr. Susan Taylor's Prescription for Flawless Skin, Hair, and Nails

Author: Susan C Taylor

At last -- a book devoted to the concerns of people of color that will help you enhance and protect the health and beauty of your skin, hair, and nails. Dr. Susan Taylor, a Harvard-trained dermatologist and a beautiful woman of color, bases her advice on more than fifteen years' experience treating patients in private practice and at the first-of-its-kind Skin of Color Center in New York City, which she directs.

Her quizzes, product recommendations, and patient-tested solutions provide information you can use today! She explains:

  • What makes skin of color beautiful -- yet vulnerable: Melanin provides rich color and sun protection, but makes skin prone to scars and marks. Dr. Taylor shares cleansing, care, and cover-up techniques.
  • Strategies for satin-smooth skin: Learn how to nip breakouts and rashes in the bud, avoiding discolorations.
  • Scar Rx: From cuts to cosmetic surgery, Dr. Taylor explains how to prevent and camouflage disfiguring scars.
  • Makeup made easy: Skin tones can vary on a woman's body. Dr. Taylor tells how to choose and use makeup for a perfect match year-round.
  • Health help for hair: From short naturals to hot combs, chemical hair relaxers, braids, weaves, and locks, Dr. Taylor tells how to style hair safely to avoid damage, hair loss, and skin irritation -- whatever style readers choose.
  • Skin cancer savvy: The danger signs are different in people of color. Dr. Taylor explains what to look for.

Brown Skin offers comprehensive, culturally specific answers to help you look and feel your best, to recognize and prevent problems, and to get the right treatment for you and your family whenneeded.



No comments:

Post a Comment